21 Fun First Date Questions To Break The Ice And Get Things Started
Whether you're new to the dating pool or a seasoned pro, these funny first date questions are bound to make things more interesting.
Some people just have a knack for conversations with virtual strangers. They seem to know exactly what funny stories to say, and how to keep the ball rolling in a conversation. But not everybody is as socially skilled. For many people, first dates are usually nerve-wracking, often painful. What do you do to fill in those awkward silences? Asking funny first date questions is one way to set yourself apart from the rest of the dating pool, as well as get to know your date.
These funny first date questions may not necessarily be deep or soul-probing (you can save that for dates two or three, if you play your cards right), but they’ll help you and your date have a good time together, which really is the goal on a first date.
21 Funny First Date Questions To Start The Conversation
1. If there was an Olympics for everyday activities, what would you win a medal for?
If binge-watching on Netflix were a sport, I’d totally kill that.
2. Do you have any guilty pleasures?
This is a trick question — of course your date has guilty pleasures (everyone has them). Now, whether or not they’ll ‘fess up is another matter entirely.
3. How long do you wear your jeans before you wash them?
According to Who What Wear, the correct answer to this question is four to five times. How far your date strays from this number can indicate just how much of a neat freak or slob he/she is.
4. Where was the weirdest place you’ve ever found yourself in?
If your date can think of an answer to this, you’re bound to get a good story out of it.
5. What kind of pet would you love to own, if time and money wasn’t an issue?
Who wouldn’t love a pet elephant?
6. What fad did you never understand?
Fidget spinners, amirite?
7. What’s the last show you binge-watched?
Find out if you and your date’s tv preferences are incompatible before it’s too late!
8. What’s the strangest fear you have?
Being scared of heights and spiders is perfectly normal. Some people are actually afraid of things like styrofoam and open-mouthed chewing, so it’s better to get all these out in the open as soon as possible.
9. If you could be a man/woman for the day, what would you do?
The possibilities are endless.
10. What country would you love to visit?
Make a mental note of these places — in case things go well, you might be travelling to these destinations soon.
11. What country would you never, ever visit?
How much chaos can your date take?
12. What were your favourite TV shows as a kid?
Going down memory lane and bonding over nostalgia is always fun.
13. Where was your favourite place to go as a kid?
Who knows — they might bring you there one day!
14. What’s the worst movie you’ve ever seen?
Of course, this all depends on what their definition of a bad movie is — you might end up starting a debate here, so watch it.
15. What’s the worst pickup line someone has ever used on you?
Then, give them your best worst pickup line and make them laugh. Works like a charm.
16. What’s the most spur-of-the-moment thing you’ve ever done?
Have they ever gone on a spontaneous road trip? What about changing up their look on a whim?
17. If you won the lottery, how would you spend your money?
Would they spend their money on fun expenses, or would they invest in the future?
18. Were you popular in high school?
Though we all change and evolve, who you were in high school plays a huge role in who you are and how you relate to people today.
19. What’s something you’re really, really bad at?
On first dates, we’re prone to do a bit of showing off and putting our best foot forward, but laughing about our shortcomings can lighten the mood and make each other seem more approachable.
20. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve eaten and actually liked?
I recently tried peanut butter and pickle sandwiches, and am now low-key obsessed with them. Hey, don’t knock it till you tried it.
21. What’s the strangest way you’ve made a friend?
It’s a roundabout way to figure out just how much of a people person your date is.
Which of these funny first date questions will you be using next?